Friday, July 2, 2010

Keep Your Eyes Open.....




You might just find a gem of a recipe anywhere!  I was at the dentist office the other day waiting and I was flipping through a magazine.  There was an All Bran Cereal recipe for a Lemon Poppy Seed Cake.  I looked at it and it seemed pretty healthy with a little tweeking and it didn't seem too hard to veganize.  So I tore it out of the magazine and decided to try it.  I don't usually gravitate towards lemon flavored things, but it was good to mix it up from my standard chocolate desserts.  So here's what I changed to make it vegan and more Weight Watchers friendly.

Lemon Poppy Seed Snack Cake 
-1 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
-1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I used Erythritol)
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 TBSP poppy seeds
-1 cup All Bran (I used Nature's Path Smart Bran because it's organic-I used 30 grams instead of 1 cup)
-1/4 cup almond milk
-2 TBSP ground flax seeds plus 4 TBSP warm water (Mix this up in a small bowl and set aside)
-3 tsp oil
-1/2 cup apple sauce (or a little less)
-1 container of lemon soy yogurt
-1 1/2-2 TBSP lemon juice
-powdered sugar (I put about 1 tsp on each piece when serving it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray.

In a mixing bowl, mix the cereal, milk, flax and water mixture, oil, apple sauce, lemon juice and yogurt.  Let stand for about 5 minutes or until cereal softens.

In another bowl, mix the flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just mixed.

The original directions say to cook for 25 minutes but I have found I need to cook it quite a bit longer than that.  I cook it for at least 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.

Once it cools a bit, sprinkle the powdered sugar on top and serve.  I like to serve it with a serving of vanilla So Delicious ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment