Monday, March 22, 2010

Being prepared saves me money!

I have recently started making some of my own vegan alternative products like seitan, vegan cheese and veggie burgers.  Yesterday I had a "make and freeze" frenzy!  I made the vegan block mozzarella from the Uncheese Cookbook. 


I like to make a batch of this vegan mozzarella and then divide it into servings and put it in the freezer.  Then we have it ready when we make pizza.  It doesn't have the same consistency as other vegan cheeses but it's still delicious on pizza and it's a lot cheaper.  Another expensive vegan alternative item is seitan.  Buying seitan from the store can be $4 or $5 a batch.  It's SOOO much cheaper to make it.  I make the recipe found in Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  It's simple to make and it's not complicated.  I make it and, just like with the vegan cheese, I divide it up in Tofutti containers and freeze it. 



Then I tried a new recipe this weekend--the Seitan Black Bean and Corn burgers from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook.  I am looking for an alternative to Morningstar Farms and Boca products because they are not organic and they are genetically modified.  I loved the way this burger from Vegan Yum Yum turned out.  It was very tasty and only one pt on Weight Watchers per burger.  That was exactly what I was looking for!



It did take me awhile in the kitchen yesterday to get everything cooked and divided up, but it's definitely worth it when you think of the money saved and how less processed things are if you make it yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment