Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Skinny Bitch


I just finished reading Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin a couple of days ago.  I liked the book a lot.  It's definitely a different approach to veganism!  I think I liked this book so much because it reaches out to a different demographic that might not otherwise read about factory farms and other types of cruelty to animals.  It also touches on not believing everything you see on packaging and labels (Chapter 9-Have No Faith).  I know that Food Revolution by John Robbins went into much greater detail about factory farms, the horror of dairy and just veganism in general, but there's something about an "easier" vegan book that's definitely appealing to me.  I think my favorite quote from the book had to be this:

"So before you say, 'I could never give up meat,' realize that nearly every single vegetarian on the planet said those same words.  Then shut the fuck up, look at an inspirational picture of a skinny bitch, and clean out your freezer."

This quote made me laugh so hard.  So many other parts of this book made me laugh out loud too.  So many articles and books about veganism hurt my heart when I read about all of cruelty, this book was just a refreshing mix of serious and funny.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is curious about veganism, already a vegan or just interested in other important things such as the government's role in our food.  

No comments:

Post a Comment