Saturday, March 19, 2011

Oh, How I Love You, Green Foods!

I had planned on doing a green foods post on St. Patrick’s Day but sometimes there’s just not enough time in the day to work and blog.  I wish I could blog everyday, but time just doesn’t allow.  Anyway, last weekend I made some green foods in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.


I made a green smoothie, spirulina pancakes and steamed kale.  The spirulina pancakes made an awesome green pancake batter but the finished product didn’t really turn out green.



Spirulina is a recent food find for me.  I kept reading about it on blogs and other places, so I got curious about it.  I bought a small jar at one of the local health food stores to see if I liked it and made a smoothie with it. 



The first smoothie I made was bright, bright green so this second one I made with spirulina I scaled back a little bit and it’s definitely not as green.  I ended up ordering some more spirulina from Vitacost so I will have it on hand. 



Another green food that I LOVE is kale!  I used to hate kale and now I can’t get enough of it.  I love it in green smoothies, steamed, in soups, casseroles, you name it.  I love it so much I am going to order this shirt for myself as a reward when I hit 90 pounds lost.


Steamed greens are not just for dinner.  They go great with breakfast food too! 



On St. Patrick’s Day, I made a green smoothie with spinach that was inspired by this smoothie on the Oh She Glows blog. 

(Photo Source: Oh She Glows blog)


It tasted like a dessert more than a smoothie.  It tasted just like a “Grasshopper.”  Next time I make it, I might make it with a bit of chocolate mixed in (like Angela did in hers) and have it for a dessert instead of breakfast. 

So, Happy LATE St. Patrick’s Day!  Here’s a picture I took a couple of years ago at the Muir Woods near San Francisco.  


1 comment:

  1. Awesome green food!

    Almost everything that I make is either inspired by that PETA Vegan College Cookbook or Oh She Glows. ;-)

    ReplyDelete