Monday, May 24, 2010

Homemade Vegan Ice Cream Adventures!


A little over a month ago I had a gift certificate for Amazon so I decided to buy an ice cream maker.  Vegan ice cream is often expensive and very high in Weight Watchers points.  So I thought with an ice cream maker, I could experiment to create my own low fat vegan ice cream creations.  So far, I have tried two recipes.  The first recipe I tried was from the Happy Herbivore-it didn't work for me.  (Click on the Happy Herbivore link to check out that recipe.)  Instead of using the vacuum packed tofu, I used the silken tofu that's in the container.  The ice cream definitely had a tofu taste about it and it was still pretty runny.  When I left it in the freezer over night, it was solid as a rock with ice crystals on top of it.  I know I made some mistakes with the recipe, but it just wasn't for me.  (Although I LOVE Happy Herbivore and many of the other recipes from the site.)  Last night I tried a different recipe from Vegan Planet.  It was the double chocolate vegan ice cream recipe.  (<---Click on the link and then scroll down a little to see the recipe.)  This recipe had a GREAT taste, but once again, did not completely set up.  I think there's probably a trick here and hopefully with time I will figure it out.  I didn't want to wait though, so we went ahead and just enjoyed it after about 30 minutes of being in the ice cream maker.  I would love to try new recipes if anyone has one for me to try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment